Prepare for life in one of the world’s most exciting cities.

London is a bustling, energetic and cosmopolitan city that offers a wealth of cultural, social and educational opportunities. Learning to live and work in a thriving business capital such as London is exciting.

Below is some practical information about living and working in London. We have provided information on some of the most important aspects of living in London, but if you need further assistance, please email your enquiry to

  • Visas/Immigration

    This section offers a brief overview of UK visa and immigration requirements. At the point of acceptance of an employment offer at the School, the Research and Faculty Office will be in touch with details of what you will need to do, based on your particular circumstances. Please note that this section is targeted at core faculty members and arrangements may vary for faculty on different types of contract.

    To make sure that the School is fully compliant with UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) regulation, we need to ensure that new employees are eligible to take up employment in the UK. You will be asked to provide documentary evidence of your eligibility to accept employment.

    UK/EEA/Swiss Nationals
    You will be asked to provide the following documentary evidence before starting work:

    • an official document showing your National Insurance number, e.g. payslip, P45 or P60
    • passport

    Find out more information about EEA countries

    Non-EEA Nationals
    Non-EEA nationals taking up employment at the School will be assessed for eligibility to live and work in the UK under the Points Based System (PBS).

    In the vast majority of cases, London Business School will issue you with a Tier 2 (General) Certificate of Sponsorship. You will then use this to obtain your visa.

    Find out more information about Tier 2

    Tier 2 Visas
    If you are a non-EEA national with a Tier 2 (General) Certificate of Sponsorship, you will need to get a visa for yourself, and (if you will be joined by your family in the UK) for your spouse and children, before travelling to the UK.

    The cost of your visa and that of any dependants can be met from your relocation budget. Obtaining your visa is a relatively straightforward task and most incoming faculty do this for themselves. However, if you wish to get legal assistance, this can also be charged to your relocation budget.

    You may wish to contact your nearest British Embassy or Consulate to check with them the formalities that you need to go through before leaving for the UK.

    All UKVI visa applicants are required to provide biometric information as part of the visa application process. If you refuse to provide your biometrics, your visa will not be processed. You will need to go in person to your nearest visa application centre to provide your biometrics.

    Immigration Health Surcharge
    To cover the cost of National Health Service (NHS) healthcare for migrants, the Immigration Act 2014 introduced an Immigration Health Surcharge, which applies to all non-EEA/Swiss citizens applying for visas which are longer than six months in duration (excluding Visitor visas). You will need to pay the surcharge, and for core faculty the School will reimburse the cost of this for yourself and any dependants with your first salary payment.

    Find out more about the Immigration Health Surcharge

    Registering With The Police
    After you arrive in the United Kingdom, you may have to register your stay with the police. You must register if you are from:

    Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, China, Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Yemen.

    If you need to register, this requirement will be written on your visa in your passport. You must register within seven days of arriving in the United Kingdom, or you could be fined.

  • Money Matters

    Opening a Bank Account
    If you have an account with an international bank, you may wish to see whether you can open a UK account with them – this is often easier than signing up to a new bank.

    The documentation you will need to open an account with a new bank in the UK will vary, but most banks require as a minimum your passport and proof of UK address. You may also need a reference letter confirming your employment at London Business School, your salary, and new UK address.

    There are a few major high street banks to choose from, many with branches that are conveniently near the London Business School campus.

  • Accommodation & Moving Home

    The School’s relocation policy reimburses new employees, tax-free, for expenses incurred by the necessity of relocating for the new job, up to a maximum of £8,000 (HMRC’s tax-free limit).

    Find out more about relocation

    These areas of London are all close to the School:

    • Marylebone
    • St John’s Wood
    • Primrose Hill
    • Maida Vale and Little Venice
    • Hampstead

    Further Afield
    Family accommodation is more readily available in the suburbs. Although most faculty live in areas of London described above, some commute into London from areas on either the Metropolitan tube line (Pinner, Harrow) which comes directly into Baker Street or alternatively the Chiltern train line (Gerard’s Cross, Beaconsfield) which comes directly into Marylebone. All these journeys are simple and hassle-free, taking between 20 and 40 minutes.


  • Healthcare

    Upon arrival in the UK you should register with a local GP surgery (doctors’ surgery).

    The UK has a healthcare service called the National Health Service (NHS). At present, EEA and Swiss nationals are automatically entitled to free healthcare from the NHS.

    Hospital treatment and consultations with a doctor are free, but you will usually have to pay towards the cost of a prescription.

    Find out more information about National Healthcare Services

    You can get dental treatment on the NHS. However, unlike doctors’ appointments and treatment, you will be charged a fee. In certain areas, it can be difficult to find an NHS dentist that is accepting new patients, so you may like to consider private treatment.

    Find out more about registering with a NHS dentist

    In the event of an accident, you should telephone 999, the number for all UK emergency services that require immediate assistance (if you are registered with the NHS, the accident and emergency services are free).

  • Schools and Childcare

    For new faculty with families, finding a good school for their children is usually high on the priority list when moving to London.

    There is a high standard of childcare and education in the UK and some of the very best schools can be found in London.

    State or Private?
    The first choice you will need to make is between state and private education. Getting a place at most state schools is usually dependent on the catchment area in which you live.

    State Schools – OFSTED Reports
    You can look up reports on primary or state secondary schools inspected by the education inspection body, the Office for Standards in Education (OFSTED). OFSTED regularly inspects all schools which are totally or mainly state funded.

    Useful Links:

    Find out more information on OFSTED
    Find out more information on over 27,000 schools in the UK
    Find out more information about Professional Relocation
    Find out more information on the Independent Schools Council

    Faculty can choose to channel up to a certain figure of their monthly salary via salary sacrifice to Childcare Vouchers, helping to support the costs of childcare.

    Find out more information on the Childcare Scheme
    Find out more about UK childcare

  • Transport

    London is a large, busy city with a strong transportation network that covers every corner of the city. Transport for London is responsible for the underground, buses, overground trains and a cycle scheme offering a variety of options for getting around in London. The Oyster Card is an essential item for travelling around London. It is an electronic ticket that works on the underground system and buses as well as some overground train routes.

    Find out more about the Oyster Card and TFL
    Find out more about driving in the UK

Click here to find out more about the London experience.