Moving to London

Prepare for life in one of the world’s most exciting cities


London is a bustling, energetic and cosmopolitan city that offers a wealth of cultural, social and educational opportunities. Learning to live, study and work in a thriving business capital such as London is exciting. Here is a useful guide to help you settle into London life. Click here to find out more about the London experience.

Below is some practical information about living and studying in London. We have provided information on some of the most important aspects of living in London, but if you need further assistance, please email your enquiry to

The UK Council for International Student Affairs provides useful information for international students.

  • Accommodation

    These areas of London are all close to the School:

    • Marylebone (NW1)
      Found near Regent's Park, Marylebone is a well-established, upmarket area with a mixture of residential and commercial buildings, boutiques and restaurants that has managed to retain its village feel, despite being within walking distance of the shopping thoroughfare of Oxford Street.  
    • St John's Wood (NW8)
      Primarily a residential area, St John's Wood has Regent’s Park on its doorstep and is the home of Lord's Cricket Ground. With spacious townhouses, apartments and good schools built around a thriving high street, this quiet, safe area of London is a great option if you have children.
    • Regent's Park (NW1)
      This area still forms part of the Crown Estate and benefits from its careful management and long-term planning, as well as having the vast, green expanse of the park at its heart. Property here can be very expensive, but comes with the added bonus of one of the best views in London to be found from Primrose Hill in the north of the area.

    Areas a bit further away:

    • Camden Town and Primrose Hill (NW1, NW3, NW5, NW8)
      Camden Town is as colourful as Primrose Hill is chic. Camden stretches along Regent’s Canal an is famous for international food, eclectic markets and a buzzing music scene, while laid back Primrose Hill is packed with bars, restaurants and cafes. Neither location is on tube lines, so the bus, a bike or a walk through Regent's Park may be a better option for someone living in these areas.
    • Maida Vale and Little Venice (W9)
      This well-placed, residential district overlooks the canal, where you’ll find the pretty little enclave of Little Venice with its colourful canal boats and café culture. One of the most famous streets in Maida Vale is Abbey Road, where the British super band The Beatles recorded their album of the same name. There’s a short tube connection with Baker Street on the Bakerloo Line or you can take buses or walk to campus from here.
    • West Hampstead and Swiss Cottage (NW3, NW6, NW8)
      West Hampstead and Swiss Cottage have good travel links, an ample supply of classic, period property flats and the sprawling Hampstead Heath on their doorstep. This district is full of independent shops and eateries and is popular with young professionals.
    • Kilburn (NW6)
      The area is centred around the bustling Kilburn High Road, and offers better value compared to those listed above. It is a diverse area with lots of accommodation, a multicultural atmosphere, a wealth of international restaurants and a flourishing music scene.

    Cost of accommodation

    The cost of accommodation will vary depending on your area of choice and type of accommodation.

    There are a number of ways to find accommodation in London:

    Property search websites:



    Portal is London Business School's intranet, where accepted students can search for accommodation advertised by the School community. You can also post an advertisement with the type of accommodation you are looking for and any specific dates or location here. 

    University accommodation


    The University of London Housing Services Office (ULHS) offers a range of services to help students of the University of London find housing in London. The School has a quota of places at

    University Intercollegiate Halls. Successful applicants to London Business School’s full-time programmes will be provided further information on how to apply for a Hall place via Portal (the School’s intranet). Application is via Portal.

    International Student House (ISH) has rooms for single students as well as one and two bedroom flats for students who are married and/or have families. ISH is very popular as it conveniently located on Regent's Park so early application is advised. Application should be made direct to ISH.

    Other accommodation matters

    Council Tax 

    This is a tax levied by the Local Council on all properties in the United Kingdom. As a student, you will not normally pay Council Tax as properties that are occupied only by students are exempt. Further information.

    Utility Companies (Electricity/Gas/Water)

    When you move into a property, your estate agent, letting agent or landlord will give you the name and contact details for the utility companies based in the area.

  • Banking

    In order to open a bank account in the UK, you will normally be required to visit the bank in person. Opening an account can take up to 7-10 days. As a result, students are strongly advised to have sufficient funds at the beginning of the term to cover the first few weeks of their stay in the UK.

    There are a few major high street banks to choose from, many with branches that are conveniently located near the London Business School campus.

    Find out more about opening a bank account.

  • Document checklist

    Before you arrive in the UK, we advise you bring the following documents:

    Copies of original bank statements for at least the past three months. Internet and ATM printouts may not be accepted by some banks. Where possible ask for these to be printed on your bank's headed paper.

    Evidence of earnings: e.g. salary slips, a letter from your employer. Documents not in English must be translated by an official translator.

    Proof of your current and permanent address.

    Passport-sized photos.

    Accommodation references - more than 2 copies would be ideal.
  • Healthcare

    The UK has a healthcare service called the National Health Service (NHS). Hospital treatment and consultations with a doctor are free but you will usually have to pay towards the cost of a prescription. International students enrolled in a course lasting more than 6 months and their spouses and/or children (under the age of 16, or 19 if in further education) if living permanently with you, will also be entitled to the same NHS treatment as people who are ordinarily resident in the UK.

    After you have found a permanent place to live, you should register with a doctor closer to your home. In order to register, you'll need a letter from your programme office confirming that you are a full-time student and verifying your London address.

    Find out more about the NHS and registering for a doctor.


    In the event of an accident, you should telephone 999, the number for all UK emergency services that require immediate assistance. If you are registered with the NHS, accident and emergency services are free.


    In Britain, most people have to pay for dental treatment. There are exceptions if you are under 18, if you are under 19 and in full-time education, or if you are pregnant.

    To qualify for NHS dental treatment, you will need to be registered with a doctor.

    If you would prefer to receive private dental treatment, there are plenty of private surgeries in London. Many NHS dentists also offer private treatment.

    Find out more about registering with an NHS dentist.

  • Mobile phones

    There are three types of mobile phone options available: Contract, Pay As You Go and SIM Only contracts.

    Contract phones require a monthly payment and provide you with a plan of minutes, text messages and data. For a contract phone, there is likely to be a credit check so individuals will need a bank account and a letter from the School stating that they are enrolled and verifying their UK address.

    Pay as you go works on a credit system, so you’ll have to top up your phone credit as and when you need it. Pay As You Go can be a temporary option for those who do not have UK credit history or a bank account. 

    SIM-only contracts are similar to standard contracts that allocate minutes and messages on a monthly basis but a handset is not included. SIM only contracts can be difficult if your mobile phone is not compatible with UK networks.
    There are a few mobile phone providers in the UK. The best deals are often found online but they all have local stores that you can visit for advice.

  • Partners Club

    Moving to a busy new city like London can be daunting, especially if English is not your first language. The Partners Club helps partners and families make friends and feel comfortable in a new city. It organises a wide range of activities, including employment support, language tuition, playgroups, nights out and cultural events. 

    You can find out more on the Partners Club website. 

  • Schooling and childcare

    There is a high standard of childcare and education in the UK and some of the very best schools can be found in London.


    In England, Children normally start school from the September after their 4th birthday. If you have a child under school age and want to arrange childcare, the first step would be to contact the Partners’ Club and ask if anyone would recommend a good nanny or nursery.

    Childcare in the UK falls into 4 main categories:


    •  Childminders - People who look after children in their own homes and are registered with the Social Services Department. 
    •  Nannies - Nannies are qualified professionals who look after a child in your home. They can either live-in or live-out. Nannies are usually more expensive than childminders.
    •  Nurseries - Nursery schools provide early learning and childcare for children between three and five years (some will take children from two and a half).
    •  Day Care/Crèches - Often based in workplaces and run by businesses or voluntary groups, day nurseries provide care and learning activities for children from birth to five years old. 

    Find out more about UK childcare:

    Search day nurseries in London:

    Primary and secondary education

    Children usually go to primary school between the ages of four and eleven and secondary school is compulsory until the age of 16. Many continue in higher education until 18 or 19.

    There are 3 types of schools:

    •  State comprehensive schools providing education for free
    •  State grammar schools - selective state schools which may require children to sit an entrance test.
    •  Private schools - fee-paying schools (the cost per term depends on the school and location)

    State schools are managed by different boroughs and city councils. A child must live within a school's catchment area to be eligible for admission. Private schools offer flexibility in terms of residential address. For further information and a list of schools by boroughs/councils, please see:

    Schools are inspected regularly by the Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted). If you want to see how a particular school is rated and what facilities they offer, you can visit Ofsted's website for information.


  • Transport

    London is a large, busy city with a strong transportation network that covers every corner of the city. Transport for London is responsible for the underground, buses, overground trains and a cycle scheme offering a variety of options for getting around. The Oyster Card is an essential item for travelling around London. It is an electronic ticket that works on the underground system and buses as well as some overground train routes. More information on the Oyster Card.


    Trains and the Tube

    London has an extensive, well-connected rail network of overground and underground trains. The London Underground (also known as the Tube) is one of the best ways to get around the city, particularly on longer journeys, although it’s worth noting that most services stop running on week nights around midnight. The network is divided into 6 travel zones from Central London (Zone 1, where London Business School is situated) to Heathrow Airport which is located in Zone 6. 

    Each line is colour coded, which makes finding your way around a lot easier.



    Buses can also be a quick and efficient way of travelling around London and there are night buses that operate on certain routes outside of normal daytime service hours. Rush hour traffic (between 08:00 and 9:30 and 16:30 and 18:30) can slow things down significantly.


    The most common form of taxis in central London are 'Black Cabs', which can take up to 5 or 6 passengers. You can hail a Black Cab on the street or go to a taxi rank. Tipping is optional.



    Cycling is a popular method of transport for lots of London commuters and London now has a city-wide cycle hire scheme available. There are ranks of these rentable bikes across the city and you can Find out more about where to find them and prices at the Cycle Hire scheme website. 


    Walking is one of the most underrated ways of getting around the capital. Often, people jump onto the tube or a bus without realising that their destination is a five minute walk away! Walking is also a fantastic way to see London, get our geographical bearings and build an understanding of where places are.

    Find out more about walking routes. 

  • Visas

    Visit our visa requirements page for information.