The Real Innovation Awards
Congratulations to our 2018 winners
Leadership and whizzy new products are just part of the story. Real innovation is messy, uncertain and serendipitous.
All of these qualities were on display in the stories behind the shortlisted firms of 2018, and eventual winners in both the People’s and Judges’ Choice categories.
The Real Innovation Awards have been about the real, messy business of innovation since 2016 – celebrating a process that’s a world away from what most people imagine it to be. Innovation is the wellspring of change. Without a constant supply of clever, creative and fresh ways of doing things, the engine of economic progress would grind to a halt.
There are many innovation awards on offer, but they tend to describe a simplified, sanitised and inaccurate view of the process. These awards identify and celebrate those people and organisations who exemplify the way it really works.
The awards ceremony for 2018 may be over but real innovation never sleeps – nominations for the 2019 shortlist will open in February.
Winners will be feted by LBS, with an exclusive awards presentation ceremony to be held at London Business School in November – plus appearances in LBS’s own journal the London Business School Review and website. Winners and shortlisted entries will be promoted online and through our social media feeds (#RealInnovationAwards).
Read about the past year's winners here
There are six categories in the Real Innovation Awards.
- The If At First You Don’t Succeed Award celebrates learning through failure.
- The Masters of Reinvention Award is for the individual or company that most successfully reinvented itself through cannibalising its existing business.
- The Best Beats First Award is about taking an idea, running with it and becoming the leader.
- The winner of the George Bernard Shaw Unreasonable Person Award is an individual who has shown ridiculous obstinacy to get their idea or product to succeed.
- The Alexander Fleming Serendipity Award celebrates success sparked by an accidental discovery.
- And because sometimes timing is everything, we give the Harnessing the Winds of Change Award to an individual or venture that grabs what’s coming round the corner and makes it their own.
Watch this short film to see what else our 2017 winners had to say on the night they were presented with their awards.