BA in Psychology, B.A. in Political Science (Rutgers University) PhD (Duke University)
Assistant Professor of Organisational Behaviour
- Subject area:
- Organisational Behaviour
I study the micro-level (cognitive and interpersonal) foundations of organizing and leadership. An organization is a set of groups who share common goals and leadership is the act of influencing that set of groups to pursue shared goals. Thus, two foundational components of both organizing and leadership are groups and goals. My research primarily focuses on the challenges organizations and leaders face as they seek to manage the increasingly complex nature of behavior between groups (i.e., intergroup relations) and the varied goals of group members (i.e., goal systems).
- Rosette, A. S., Carton, A. M., Bowes-Sperry, L., & Hewlin, P. F. Why do racial slurs remain prevalent in the workplace? Integrating theory on intergroup behavior. Organization Science. (Forthcoming).
- Carton, A. M., & Cummings, J.N. 2012. A theory of subgroups in work teams. Academy of Management Review, 37(3), 441 - 470.
- Carton, A. M., & Rosette, A. S. 2011. Explaining bias against Black leaders: Integrating theory on information processing and goal-based stereotyping. Academy of Management Journal, 54(6), 1141 – 1158.
- Sitkin, S. B., See, K. E., Miller, C. C., Lawless, M., & Carton, A. M. 2011.The paradox of stretch goals: Organizations in pursuit of the seemingly impossible. Academy of Management Review, 36(3), 544-566.
- Larrick, R. P., Timmerman, T., Carton, A. M., & Abrevaya, J. 2011. Temper, temperature, and temptation: Heat-related retaliation in baseball. Psychological Science, 22(4), 423-428.
- Carton, A. M., & Aiello, J. R. 2009. Control and anticipation of social interruptions: Reduced stress and improved task performance. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 39(1), 169-185.
- Carton, A. M. & Cummings, J. N. 2011. Striking a balance: The impact of balanced versus imbalanced subgroups on work team performance. Published in Best Paper Proceedings of the Academy of Management Conference: San Antonio, TX.
- Carton, A. M., Larrick, R. P., & Page, L. 2011. Back to the grind: How attention affects satisfaction during goal pursuit. Published in Best Paper Proceedings of the Academy of Management Conference: San Antonio, TX.
- Carton, A. M., & Cummings, J. N. 2009. A faultline-based model of team leadership. Published in Best Paper Proceedings of the Academy of Management Conference: Chicago, IL.
- Carton, A. M. 2008. Enhancing leadership theories with goal structure. Published in Best Paper Proceedings of the Academy of Management Conference: Anaheim, CA.
Intergroup behaviour (e.g., subgroups, stereotyping, retaliation) and the influence of long-term goals (e.g., vision statements, stretch goals) on employee performance.
Leadership consulting; Editorial board member, Academy of Management Journal.
Assistant Professor of Management, Pennsylvania State University
tel: +44 (0)20 7000 8922
fax: +44 (0)20 7000 7001